I’m as guilty as the rest of you for sitting in front of that darn TV too much to watch and re-watch my favorite decorating shows. So let’s make an effort to turn off the TV and start creating our own masterpieces in our homes. It’s great to see how they can do it with the magic of television, a huge budget and expensive staff of talented designers and craftsmen, but what about the rest of us?? We all would love a beautiful home – free of charge, free of our efforts – but that’s just not going to happen. I’d like to challenge you to set your sights higher and join my happy group of enthusiastic DIY decorators.
1. Start by getting my free decorating guide – “10 Easy Steps to DIY Decorating like a Pro”.
2. Collect all the old photos, decorating videos and samples that you’ve been squirreling away for the past year and sort them into usable and unusable options.
3. Visit local home improvement and furniture stores to see what’s new and inspiring. Sign up for their do it yourself classes to learn a new skill like tiling, wallpaper installing or even an upholstery class. It’s really simple to recover dining chair seats.
BEFORE with plain fabric AFTER with NEW fabric
4. Join or start a local Meet-up Group of decorating enthusiasts to share your triumphs and challenges.
5. Save up all your extra change and funds for a decoratiing splurge.
6. Suscribe to Decorate-ed, the Online decorating service for ongoing answers to all your decorating questions along the way.
7. Most importantly – START, PLAN and FINISH your next decorating project THIS WEEK! (send me your photos!)